Thursday, October 29, 2009

"I Don't Have a Rememberer!"

I had what I call a "mommy moment" a few days ago. I was sitting at the dinning room table listening to Rachel read; the bright sunlight was filtering through the sliding glass door blinds just lighting up Rachel's beautiful face and I just felt so grateful to be able to be the one to teach her to read and be able to look at her beautiful face so close and to have the luxury to spend so much time with her.


Then she started whining because she couldn't figure out a word and popped my little bubble of mommy joy but it was wonderful while it lasted!
We have been doing a reading program called "Five in a Row". You read a book together five times and talk about different aspects of the book. The latest book we have been reading has the main character coming from Poland and one of the things FIAR does to teach geography is to review where the characters live. On our fifth day of reading the book and the fifth time I had asked Rachel on what continent Poland was on she still could not remember it was on the European continent. When I said, "Rachel, you need to try to remember the things we talk about in our books." She said back in an exasperated voice, "Mom, I don't have a rememberer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment