Saturday, August 1, 2009

Banana Squash

I have never cooked with a banana squash before this last week. When Jamie came to swim last Monday she brought me over one along with two pumpkins she had grown in her garden. I added it to an easy chicken stew made with a Costco rotisserie chicken and the yellow and orange peppers you can get in a big bag at Costco along with onions and then the banana squash. It was so tasty and easy. I liked how the banana squash held its shape and didn't get too mushy like most squash, (I made sure I added it last and didn't over boil it). I made a banana squash casserole with onions and tomatoes sprinkled with parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, and a little bit of olive oil. I loved it but my kids turned up their noses. I've been in a kind of cooking rut lately and it felt good to try something new. That squash was so huge I was able to add three cups to my stew, make a big 13x9in. casserole full, plus I had 3- 1 quart sized bags stuffed full of slightly steamed squash left that I was able to freeze.





No comments:

Post a Comment